Do you cook at home a lot? If so, you probably use your garbage disposal most days. If you’re a frequent user of it, then you need these easy tips to maintain your garbage disposal, especially since the holidays are fast approaching. You don’t want that breaking when you’re trying to clean up after hosting a holiday meal.
Some easy tips to maintain your garbage disposal include:
- Keeping the blades nice and sharp by never putting bones or fruit pits in it. Small bones are fine as they actually help to clean the disposal.
- Never pour grease or oil down the drain. It shouldn’t be put down the drain anyway as it will eventually clog it, wait until it becomes solid, then put it in the trash.
- Don’t put too much into it at once, it won’t be able to do its job, and could actually break.
- Foods that are fibrous shouldn’t go into the disposal, such as celery, potato, corn husks and banana peels. These could end up becoming a tangled mess in the blades.
- Coffee grinds and egg shells are other items that shouldn’t go down the garbage disposal.
- Always run the water when using it.
- When using it, always run the water and the disposal for at least half a minute after the food is all ground up. Should you leave leftover food behind, not only will it smell, but it can start to grow bacteria.
- It’s easy to clean it with warm soapy water.
- Another way to clean it is with ice cubes or lemon or lime peels to create a citrus fresh smell!
- Baking soda and vinegar are another option, and are also good for the drain for cleaning and freshening up.
Hopefully these tips will help keep your garbage disposal running smooth and effectively over the holidays. If you do have troubles, contact LaPensee Plumbing for all of your plumbing needs. We have been proudly serving Bradenton, Sarasota, Anna Maria Island, Lakewood Ranch and Longboat Key since 1985!