5 Things to Check if Your AC Runs Constantly
It’s only the beginning of August; we’re still in one of the hottest time periods here in Florida. It’s been an extremely hot summer, and your air conditioner is probably doing some over time. But is it running too much? Does it stop, or does it seem to run constantly? No, no one wants to be hot and sticky, but no one wants their AC unit to be running constantly either. Luckily, there are some simple things you can check to see why your AC runs constantly.
- Check your air filter. Do you remember the last time you changed it? If your air filter is clogged and dirty, the air conditioner will have to work harder to push the air through it, thus causing it to run more than it usually would.
- Check the coils. They might be dirty. Was your unit serviced prior to this season? Depending on the location, coils could be covered with dirt or debris, such as lawn mower clippings. Annual maintenance is important to both the evaporator and condenser coils. If not cleaned annually, you could notice poor cooling performance and higher operating costs when the system runs longer to reach thermostat settings.
- Have your refrigerant checked. The system might need a charge, or there could possibly be a leak in the coils. In this case, you would need professional help to diagnose and correct the problem.
- Check your thermostat. Make sure the setting is set to cool, and then lower the temperature 5 degrees and see if the unit turns on. If this doesn’t work, check the circuit breaker to see if it tripped. If not, the thermostat may need to be replaced.
- Check the air coming out of the vents. Is it warm? If so, the coil might be frozen. In this case, just turn it off, and contact a professional.
Other issues could be that the unit is just old, and needs to be replaced, or there might be issues in the duct work, or the insulation in the house, maybe the cold air is escaping. Most of these issues can be prevented with regular maintenance. Chances are that even if it’s a big problem, if it’s dealt with now, it can save money down the road. If you’re concerned that your AC runs constantly, contact LaPensee Plumbing, Pools & Air about air conditioning services today!